Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

Short M1A flash hider

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

Has anyone seen these.....??? http://www.nokick.co........4-tfsb.htm http://www.deltapdes........le-adapter Just wondering what you all thought about this. It seems like a pretty good way to shave off a couple inches to shorten the OAL. Do you think threading on an AR style flash hider (obviously for 762) would be significant enough to still supress the flash? In other words, since it is a shorter flash hider do you think it would not adequately hide the muzzle blast?

#2 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

"Energizer Bunny Arrested, Charged with Battery"

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

they both look-a-like, only the prices are different. seems to me theyd add weight to the muzzle once you got both parts added but then again I'm kind of old fashioned
Been around the world with the Uncle Sams Misguided Children Travel Agency
Proud Posessor of the Mean Gene

#3 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

They are both the same as far as I can tell. I just wanted to put both in there because one had pictures of it installed and the other didn't. It may add a little weight but shouldn't be horrible. I am just brainstorming ideas at shortening the FH. This rifle will be going on sage ebr mod, so old fashioned look is out the window. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

#4 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

This is the flash hider I am thinking of putting on it if I go this route.    http://www.cobratact........_7204.html   It will take off around 1.5 - 1.7 inches. It will bring the rifle (standard) to about 43 inches or maybe a hair under. By the time I add the new stock maybe a bit shorter still.

#5 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

I've ordered one of those adapters and a bigger muzzle brake for mine.  The object is to reduce recoil as much as possible.  I don't know if the shorty flash suppressors will be as effective except for the Smith Enterprise Vortex, but it's not that short.  It will give you less OAL if that is most important though. m14brian

#6 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

Just trying to see what I can shave off. I am trying to get to around a 23.5 inch oal barrel length with flash hider rather than 25 with standard flash hider. 

#7 Guest_H2O MAN_*

Guest_H2O MAN_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

Consider a GLFS and DC Vortex from Smith Enterprise, Inc.

#8 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:25 AM

Sounds more like cheaping out and not going out and getting a scout. In the end you've spent a couple hundred and will still have to own one. I'd keep your std alone and save for the scout.

#9 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

Yeah you're probably right. I am just going to keep searching around for a good used deal. They are around but it takes time to look. I just can't swing 1600 for a new rifle anytime soon. It is easier to swallow when it is less expensive, say around 1000. These are probably the most addictive rifles i have ever shot and owned. I bought one thinking that this would fill my need for a good 308 mbr and now i have to have more.

#10 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

I'm the same way, Jerry.  I have a handful of 'em and I have to have more.  I also am waiting around for a used deal in the same price range.  Not to many people are getting rid of the Scouts so that says something about them.  Don't get impatient though and undo all of your work on your Standard that you did, just wait it out.  Get the Scout first, then afterwards the Sage for the other one also.  I know what you're thinking.  Yes, we need more jobs and money... m14brian

#11 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

If I found a scout for a grand, it's mine... Just so you know.../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

#12 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

I saw one on a forum 1200 which is very tempting. I think what I am going to do is get the vortex FH like H2O Man recommended. It is roughly the same length so I am saving an inch or so and it looks nice on the rifle.    Nice find by the way.

#13 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

"Energizer Bunny Arrested, Charged with Battery"

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

My Polytech bush rifle build will have the SEI DC Vortec and the gas lock, hooded front sight. it took a LONG time for this set up to grow on me. But after shooting my AR's with an HK style front sight, I was sold and now want that set up on an M14 type rifle.
Been around the world with the Uncle Sams Misguided Children Travel Agency
Proud Posessor of the Mean Gene

#14 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

M21guy said:

If I found a scout for a grand, it's mine... Just so you know.../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif
WTF, man? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif   Good find, bro!  Jealous... /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif m14brian

#15 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

I have a couple questions about the dc vortex FH and GLFS.  1. how does it connect? I thought you needed a castle nut and a specific flash hider setup for m14 style rifles. 2. is going the DC flash hider the same length as going the vortex flash hider with a castle nut for m14/m1a? 3. If i installed a GLFS, how does that change POI? Wouldn't I need a specific shorter or longer post? I thought I read somewhere that on a full length it needs a different post because it has the extended barrel. I may be way off but I want to be informed of everything before I start buying.   Thanks guys

#16 GR00VYJERRY

GR00VYJERRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

I just saw on SEI website they have a gas lock specifically designed for a 22 inch barrel so when you put on your front sight it has been compensated for already so disregard question 3. But this makes me think of another question. . . . I have a standard m1a gas lock wrench. Will this fit an SEI one. Are the gas locks made to different specs or will my wrench fit both?   Thanks again

#17 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

It fits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users