Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

National Match Vs. Standard M1A

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnappi

gnappi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

I'm sure this has probably been posted before, but...   Regarding fit, finish and accuracy potential, has anyone owned or shot both and found differences between models and accuracy and finish?   I'm told that the NM has some bedding, and trigger enhancements, but other than that, are they worth the extra coins?   Has anyone ever made one with a match grade heavy fluted barrel?  

#2 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

This is strickly my opinion, but I went with the standard. Yes, the NM has a few little better options, but for the price difference it wasn't worth the extra money they were charging for them. I didn't feel the extras were worth the added cost. I always figured if I wanted to get more accuracy out of it, no matter which I bought, I would do my own thing to it and I'd rather spend the extra cash on that.

#3 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Building one and buy one is two different things. You could build better, but your cost will be more. When I say better, accuracy may not be much or any better, in fact it could be worse depending on the build quality. Better in terms of better parts making the entire package nicer. However you might not see a substantially different return if you went a sold it even though it had better parts. AM1a isn't something you slap together like an AR. A lot goes into one. If accuracy was the mission and I was novice at best, the NM would be the way I'd roll. Why would a person want fluting? Area that would be fluted is covered, so cooling affects are non existant and then to it subtracts from the overall stiffness of the barrel. About the only thing it would do is shave weight, but then it isn't much, so why bother. Fluting for a M1a is money wasted imo.

#4 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

I've done much research and talked to even more people about fluted barrels. I spent literally moaths learning all I could about fluted barrels before I ordered my barrel go my Remmy 700. Without going through a big in depth reply, I'm going to keep it very simple. A fluted barrel is good for one thing and one thing only, that is for aesthetic purposes only. They are not more accurate, if anything they are less accurate. They will dissipate heat a little better, but only a little. I'm sure somebody will ring the BS bell and that's fine. If anyone wants to discuss the whole fluted barrel is better myth, start a new thread. But basically DO NOT buy a fluted barrel. You will only succeed in spending more money for a inferior product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users