Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

10 round magazine

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Clark

Clark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Just picked up my M1A Scout yesterday and have been spending a few hours this weekend reading the manuals and becoming familiar with the weapon. One thing I noticed is that the magazine will hold 10 rounds but will not lock into the rifle with 10 rounds in it. With 9 rounds, not a problem. Is this typical? If not, how can it be corrected?   Thanks in advance.   Clark

#2 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

No that is not typical. There is a little square hole in the back of the mag that the mag release hooks into. Load 10 rounds into the mag and see if you can see what is obstructing the hole. Or with the added weight, your not getting the front of the mag properly seated with the front catch.

#3 MedicJoe

MedicJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Have the same problem with my M1a Standard. It'll lock in with 10 rounds only if the bolt is open. Just got a 20 round mag but have not loaded it fully and tried to lock it in. I'll check tomorrow and see if the 20 rounder does the same thing as the 10 - that'll help trouble shoot the prob.
Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

#4 MedicJoe

MedicJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

P.S. Thanks for the tip, Slayer6769 - I'll checkthe locking hole on the back of the mag.

#5 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

The 10 round mag that came with my M1A functions flawlessly. I'm sure your 10 rounder is the same as mine, if it came with your rifle from the factory. I've no doubt it's probably something simple. Here is another tip, go to http://www.44mag.com and order you some CMI mags. 10 or 20 rounders, it doesn't matter. Whatever size you get of those, you won't be sorry and they have the bedt prices out there.

#6 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Load on less round then./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

#7 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

There are notorious intermittent problems with "some" of the 10 rounders.  Some guys can't load them to full capacity or it won't fit in the rifle, but not everyone has problems.  I have never had problems, but I still have some extra 10s in sealed bags laying around that I never tried.  I'd buy aftermarket, such as C.M.I., then if they are not up to spec, simply return them. m14brian 

#8 Different

Different

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Clark, how many "dimples" are on the ten round magazine latch plate?  Seriously, there are some aftermarket (not CMI) ten round magazines that have the issue you describe.

#9 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

How many are they supposed to have? I count 4 on mine.

#10 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Is this 10 rnd mag the original one that came with the rifle new?

#11 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

slayer6769 said:

Is this 10 rnd mag the original one that came with the rifle new?
Nope, not mine. It came from somewhere. My rifle I built off of originally came with 20 rounders.  This 10 rounder has new CMI parts in it now though. I loaded it up with 10 just now, It's stiff, but it locks into the magwell with the bolt closed. I've never used it myself. I guess it works.

#12 MedicJoe

MedicJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

So I checked my 20 rounder and that loads fine when it is full...must just be something with my 10. I don't see anything blocking or obviously wrong - it's almost as if the rounds are just sitting higher and making just enough difference with 10 to keep it from locking in when the bolt is closed. I did try bumping it into place fairly forcefully. The 20 snaps right in with a full load. For the record both are SA mags - the ten came with the rifle and the 20 was ordered direct from SA. Not a good thing but not a biggie - I want to get another 20 rounder, and then those two would be the only ones I would be using in the unlikely event that I was needing every round I could carry.

#13 MedicJoe

MedicJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Could it possibly be a difference in the springs? Maybe a batch that is a little too strong - things feed fine unless spring is depressed to the point that 10 rounds push it to and it just won't depress the short distance further to lock into place?

#14 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

I suppose that's possible. Maybe try replacing the spring with a Wolff and see if that corrects the issue.

#15 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

You don't replace a spring that is too heavy in the first place with one that is heavier. Skip the wolff idea. Like I said I put in all CMI parts in an unknown 10round mag housing. It worked, but as cheap as these things are, you might just buy completely new.

#16 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think the Wolff spring may help, it may or may not be that his spring is too heavy. Or it could very well be that his spring is binding when fully depressed. For just a few dollars, he can find out if it will correct the problem. Besides, he said it was a SA mag which is a CMI. Only other thing I can think of is that maybe the feed lips need adjusted. Or just use 20 rnd mags exclusively.

#17 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Stronger spring on something that is loaded to the max is only going to make it even harder to load, set, and for the bolt to strip it. Might just try leaving it loaded for a spell.

#18 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

M21guy said:

It depends on the brand.  The C.M.I.s have 6 dimples total, 3 top and 3 bottom with a horizontal line in the middle of the bottom set of 3 dimples. m14brian

#19 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

m14brian said:

M21guy said:
It depends on the brand.  The C.M.I.s have 6 dimples total, 3 top and 3 bottom with a horizontal line in the middle of the bottom set of 3 dimples. m14brian I'm such an idiot. Pardon me, I was counting spot welds on the body. What the hell was I thinking? My 10rd mag looks just like a CMI minus the horizontal line. Like I said though I put CMI guts into it, spring ,follower, and floor plate. Someone had broke the floor plate of it cleaning it I guess, it seemed like a civil enough mag so I rebuilt it.

#20 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Looking briefly at Different's mag id guide, I don't know. My 10 rounder is probably an unknown. Sort of looks like a Western, but I think it is a copy. I do have on T57 blued 20rnd mag. That thing works pretty nice in my rifle. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users