Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

Just thought you guys might find this interesting

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

#2 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

This is Frances 14th of July parade in Paris (France's 4th of July) the pioneers and the band do only what you see here and the pioneers are the only ones that can have any facial hair (a tradition thing). The Legion used to be the last unit to pass but by this video it seems things have changed, the actual regiment marching in the video is the 4th RE which is the training regiment. I don't know if you can tell but the legions marching pace is very slow and is considered "cocky". I had the honor of marching in this parade twice!

In another post that I can't find now some one asked me if I minded talking about the Legion. As stupid as this may sound, I was born for that kind of life! I don't have nitemares about stuff I've done and seen, and have no problem talking about it!!! I don't like just rambling on about myself so if you have a question just ask!!! BUT understand the mentality is different and it was not the US military we did lots of things, I did things you may not like or approve of!

#3 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

That's pretty cool!
My wife used to be a French teacher, so I can get a translation!  I'm gonna have her check it out.  Haha!
m14brian

#4 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Not much to hear just typical banter about the units marching and the traditions

#5 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Cool, Thanks.  It will still be good to give her a little practice.  The only real practice she gets speaking anymore is when our friends from Belgium come to the states.
m14brian

#6 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

I know how that is! I watch dvd's in French as often as I can to keep practice but it's Canadian French and not really the same.

#7 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

True, she said that's like comparing British to American English, and very tough when they talk fast.
m14brian

#8 Althescal

Althescal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Broncs, I appreciate your posting this! I cannot remember what the show was called, it may have been the one you mentioned about escaping the Foreign Legion, but it's been so long I cannot recall. I do remember that a guy could ring a bell if he was giving up and wanted to quit. Everyone was required to learn and speak French, I believe. Other than the experience of being a member of the French Foreign Legion, does France recognize you as a French citizen after serving? I've never served any military in any capacity, but I've always been interested in what I missed. If you have the time and don't mind sharing some of the in's and out's of your experience as a Legionnaire' I'd enjoy learning more about it. Thanks!

#9 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

View Postalthescal, on 11 April 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Broncs, I appreciate your posting this! I cannot remember what the show was called, it may have been the one you mentioned about escaping the Foreign Legion, but it's been so long I cannot recall. I do remember that a guy could ring a bell if he was giving up and wanted to quit. Everyone was required to learn and speak French, I believe. Other than the experience of being a member of the French Foreign Legion, does France recognize you as a French citizen after serving? I've never served any military in any capacity, but I've always been interested in what I missed. If you have the time and don't mind sharing some of the in's and out's of your experience as a Legionnaire' I'd enjoy learning more about it. Thanks!
Good questions and points.  I'm interested too.
m14brian

#10 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

The show was called "escape from the foreign Legion" and a funny fact is that Bear Gyllis was one of the people to tap out before we knew him as survivor man. and the short guy in the pic with me (we are from the same home town in GA.) was brought on as an adviser but ended up being their training Sgt.

When I got out you had the choice to become a citizen or not (They didn't offer it to everyone just the guys that served honorably and were recommended by their CO. CMDRS. I was.) I chose to refuse it as the States didn't recognize dual citizenship at the time. They did give me a sort of French green card that gave me the right to stay and work in France if I chose to for 10 yrs.if I chose to.

When I joined they were accepting 1 out of about every 93 that showed up to join. The dregs of Europe try to join and a few get in (we called them engage gamelle, "Volunteered for dinner") however I did see former spetsnaz and other eastern SF guys get turned away! Needless to say I pounded my chest when I got chosen over those guys!!!

Keep em coming! Ask away!

By the way there is a Foreign Legion question and answer forum called cervens forum, It can be as bad as barf15.com so I rarely go there anymore and I personally know at least half the guys posting!

#11 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Cool story!  Why the drama at that forum?  You'd figure the public asking questions would either like it and come back or not like it and split, and I'd figure the members who served would be like brothers, but not fighting.  Where is the problem?
m14brian

#12 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

No members fight! but the same questions get asked a thousand times and the guys answering are guys who joined when there was no internet and you just went to France and did it! I had NO idea what to expect!!!!! Now with the internet the guys know everything and the questions asked over and over and over could easily be searched but for me it was just as easy to answer them! Not all the guys feel the same as I do and they treat those people very harshly so I decided to only go back once in awhile and bs with the boys! LMAO! and I still constantly get the same bs questions sent to me on FB!

#13 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

It's kinda like here with newbies, but I don't mind answering simple questions for them, I wish I had help and didn't have to learn the hard way.  There are a lot of redundant questions, it is easier to answer them for me, you might make a friend, or at least not turn off people to the M1A community.
m14brian

#14 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

View Postm14brian, on 11 April 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

It's kinda like here with newbies, but I don't mind answering simple questions for them, I wish I had help and didn't have to learn the hard way.  There are a lot of redundant questions, it is easier to answer them for me, you might make a friend, or at least not turn off people to the M1A community.
m14brian

Agreed! I already have a person here that I talk to on the phone and we bs about weapons and trade war stories!

#15 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Awesome!  There are some great guys here that I truly like that I intend to make lasting friendships with.
m14brian

#16 Althescal

Althescal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

What's the story behind the Pioneer's? How are they different from other Legionnaires? Were you allowed to "fraternize" with the French women? You mentioned doing some things that I might not like. I'm certainly curious about that. I'm not a judgemental person! How long did your initiation/boot camp last? Hell Broncs, if you type it, I'll read it. I still remember seeing the old Laurel and Hardy movie where they joined the French Foreign Legion. That was a hoot!

#17 Broncs

Broncs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

View Postalthescal, on 12 April 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

What's the story behind the Pioneer's? How are they different from other Legionnaires? Were you allowed to "fraternize" with the French women? You mentioned doing some things that I might not like. I'm certainly curious about that. I'm not a judgemental person! How long did your initiation/boot camp last? Hell Broncs, if you type it, I'll read it. I still remember seeing the old Laurel and Hardy movie where they joined the French Foreign Legion. That was a hoot!

They are not different from other legionnaires, they are legionnaires but all they do is parades and things like that and they get to have beards the bigger the better. The uniform is just a traditional uniform from way back. I am not really sure how they became so special. Boot camp was 4 months and is pretty tough! all problems were solved "out back" The kepi blanc is earned by doing a 90 mile forced march in 5 days. almost every Sat. for 10 yrs we ran a 5 mile run with full gear before our weekend started at noon.

When I said people might not like what they read I was thinking about stuff like having a 10 girl lesbian show on the floor of a bar in Africa and enticing them and paying them with ration crackers.or the time I had a bet that if we hit a car with 2 rebels in it whether or not the anti tank missile would blow up in the car or pass through it, I lost the bet.... This WAS NOT the US military we were not humanitarians!

#18 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Man, I missed a real opportunity not trying to join....Haha!
m14brian

#19 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I saw a front page article one time about 10 years ago that somewhere in Africa, they were trading AKs for one of those real big bags of rice.  I asked my friend, that's like $6. right?  Not exactly humanitarian either, If I could have flown over there with 100 bags of rice and been let back in.....
m14brian

#20 Althescal

Althescal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

10 Lesbians goin at it for a pack of crackers? :ph34r:  That reminds me of that old joke Richard Pryor told about the starving man and the Ritz cracker. LOL! Just imagine if you'd had some MacRibs to pass around! :wub:  I'm cool with all that, provided that you don't tell me that the lesbians were all bull-dykes and favored Rosie O'donnell.... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...Blech... :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users