Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

Personal Defense Round

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 zombiekiller

zombiekiller

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

I am considering using my M1a for my home defense weapon.  What .308 round would you use?  I am looking for a round that is perhaps best suited for this purpose and not just a generic hunting round.  I understand that Winchester has a round called the PDX, also CORBON has a round along with Hornady (TAP & Z-Max).  The Winchester is supposed to not over penetrate, even at close distances, and that is really what I want.

Any ideas, suggestions, or experience?????

#2 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

Honestly, for a inside the home personal defense weapon, a rifle is a very poor choice, regardless of what ammo your using.

#3 Demianu27

Demianu27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

If you choose low penetrating home defense ammo, most likely you're going below 145 grain. I've heard that M1A rifles do not like anything less then 145... Hornady TAP-FPD is 110 grain.

I can't recommend any 308 personal defense ammo, but I can recommend 12 gauge ammo :)

#4 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

A rifle was not meant to be a close quarters weapon. Shotguns and handguns are for that. Truthfully, without proper on going training and professional instruction, the likelyhood that you would even be able to hit your intended target a real close range, under stress, is unlikely. You may get lucky and hit a home intruder, but that's all it would be is luck. If your wanting a good home defense weapon, you need to choose a shotgun or handgun. Preferably a shotgun and handgun as backup.

#5 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

Or else get a mean azz big dog.

#6 TRGGRPULLR

TRGGRPULLR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNorth Ogden, UT

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

I agree, I have an SA XD45 for my "bump in the night" gun.  My M1A is only a SHTF, or zombie apocalypse option.  I have children and live in a neighborhood where houses are pretty close.  So I am concerned that even with low penetration rounds it might pass thru the walls endangering my kids or neighbors.  But it is always good to have the option of going bigger.
-INVICTUS MANEO-     ^ MOLON LABE ^

#7 TRGGRPULLR

TRGGRPULLR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

When I took my concealed handgun class, the instructor showed us a vid from arizona.  It was of a home security system, it showed the front yard.  A vehicle sped into its drive way and three young men jumped out.  Two had handguns, and the third an AK.  They stormed the house of the elderly man in broad daylight!  But luckily the man seen the monitor and grabbed his shotgun, and met force with force.  So like I said, its always good to have the option, lol.

#8 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

Ammo for that is the before mentioned TAP-FPD 110gr.

Rifles in my house in my location would not be the ticket, but it is a rich area and I did have friends with well off parents that had homes big enough to get jiggy with a rifle in a home invasion. Not to say in a pinch I'd not whip out the M4 on some assholish bastard, but I'm also pretty well trained and continue to train.

Personally I'd more likely go for the scatter gun or the sidearm indoors CQB in defence.

#9 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,397 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

+1 to Hornady TAP 110gr.
If you must use your M1A for home defense because you don't want more guns or whatever reason, you need a rail mounted light.  This will improve your chances of hitting only your target greatly.
m14brian

#10 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

It needs a granade launcher loaded with bean bags also. God that would have to hurt!

#11 TRGGRPULLR

TRGGRPULLR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

or a Bayonet!

#12 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Bayonet indoors? Nah I'm liable to miss at hit something. It rather not be that close to the target anyway.

#13 TRGGRPULLR

TRGGRPULLR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Sorry, that's the soldier in me, lol...

#14 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

In the Marine Corps we just blow things up. I'll cut the gas line before I break out the bayonet. Fry you bastards! lol

#15 Count DeMonee

Count DeMonee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

There's something about the "Chink - Chink" sound that a 12 guage pump makes that scares the living crap out of any would-be intruder.

#16 Highlander

Highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostCount DeMonee, on 29 October 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

There's something about the "Chink - Chink" sound that a 12 guage pump makes that scares the living crap out of any would-be intruder.

I sure wouldn't wanna bet my life on that!  It'll probably work ok a 15 year old punk kid, but of it doesnt work, you just let the perp know where you are.   Now you're starting the fight off with one round less than full capacity!

#17 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,397 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

It works, I've made a couple tweekers and violent felons run for their a$$ with that sound and image when they tried to get a little too tough.
m14brian

#18 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

In all fairness. Sometimes the best defense is the sound of a pump shotgun closing. Everyone knows that sound and it's fightening enough to make any would be intruder remove themself really quick. No one wants to get shot by one and no one in all honestly really wants to be forced to kill another. We can laugh and joke, but home defence is probably best served with one of those, and calling 911.

#19 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

"Energizer Bunny Arrested, Charged with Battery"

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

in the end, its not the round you use, but where you put it in the target...........
Been around the world with the Uncle Sams Misguided Children Travel Agency
Proud Posessor of the Mean Gene

#20 BennyS

BennyS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Go buy a low end shot gun, great home defense weapon and you can get really good home defense rounds. Remember when the feces hits the rotating oscillator calm and cool is not the order of the day. Picking up an M1A to defend your home is a gamble. I don't believe you can find safety round in .308 or 7.62. Remember firing at an intruder or someone threatning your life is justified until you miss an hit an innocent person. WOW long winded!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users