Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

The other hobby

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

"Energizer Bunny Arrested, Charged with Battery"

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

I decided to get back into plastic modeling on a rather limited basis recently.

And I picked up on a kit I left kind of high and dry in 2010 before the Ex buried the knife in to the hilt.

Anyway here she is.

I'm building her to go on display in my buddy's hobby shop.

30 inch wing span and will be done in natural metal with a white belly as she would've been on nuclear deterance with SAC in the 60's

Posted Image
Been around the world with the Uncle Sams Misguided Children Travel Agency
Proud Posessor of the Mean Gene

#2 M1Aguy

M1Aguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

I used to build models a long time ago. Really enjoyed it. My last big one was a b-17 flying fortress. It didnt survive my many moves. Built a king tiger and tiger tank model. One was winter camo for the eastern front the other for the west. Love building but i cant seem to them from damage
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety- Benjamin Franklin

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it-Thomas Jefferson

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. -Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson

#3 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

I know the feeling, I had spme really nice finished models that survived my moves, but didnnt survive my 6 year old nephew.

I built this one for an online group build, its since lost its landing gear and props

This one ties as my favorite finished model

This is the other that ties with the F-14

These two, all thats left are these pictures.

This one is also a favorite

And this one is in need of a landing gear rebuild, its left main gear leg has come off

#4 gnappi

gnappi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

When I was a kid I made a model of and had pics of the B-52. Something about that aircraft that till this day attracts me.

Today my other hobbies are motorcycles (Jap crotch rockets) and gardening. Yours is a whole lot less expensive and probably more calming! I get off my superbike and I can't relax for an hour :-)

#5 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

well I've been out of the plastic hobby for over six years, it was cheap back then, that 52 kit now is over 70 dollars. That and alot of the companies I used to spend LOTs of money with are no longer there.

The next month(s) should prove interesting in this area lol

#6 M1Aguy

M1Aguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

yeah models have really become pricey.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety- Benjamin Franklin

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it-Thomas Jefferson

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. -Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson

#7 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Models have to be cheaper than my other hobbies, music and my Mustang.
m14brian

#8 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I used to think that until I started looking at the price of kits in the last few days

#9 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

How is it we were able to afford this stuff as kids and give pause now??
m14brian

#10 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

inflation lol

#11 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

That's true, I'm not old as dirt yet and I remember when a candy bar went from .20 to .25, we had a fit.  Now they're 1.25.
m14brian

#12 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

well heres a pic of the stash

Posted Image

#13 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

You have enough to keep you busy a while.
m14brian

#14 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

I figure a years worth build time once I get back up and running. I still have to get a few supplies for the airbrush and a few little things. I'm not going overboard like I used to, as long as the finished model looks good to me I'll be happy.

#15 M1Aguy

M1Aguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

oh good god. thats alot of models

#16 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostM1Aguy, on 23 September 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

oh good god. thats alot of models

thats nothing, when I sold my stuff to a friend in 2006 I had over 600 unbuilt kits, I know guys with thousands of unbuilt kits stashed.

#17 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

I have 22 unbuilt kits right now

#18 gnappi

gnappi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostMike Hunt, on 23 September 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

I have 22 unbuilt kits right now

That's nothing... my ex-wife had dozens and dozens of unworn shoes!!! :-)

#19 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

I used to love locking myself up in my room and closing the windows to build models. I built so many of them. While few did survive I got pissed once and tossed them all. Maybe someday I'll build another, but that will be when I have a job that pays. Lots of things I "used to do." I don't do anything anymore. Work, school, try and get hired. That is all I do.

#20 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,410 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'm stumped.....Which doesn't happen often.  How can anyone build thousands of models????  I must be one lazy bastard, I did a couple back in the '80s LOL.
m14brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users