Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

It isn't easy applying for LE

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Okay I applied for deputy sheriff. The online form was intensive I thought, but I got a pass to the written exam. I done fucked up and somehow put my vision and hearing were not good. How the F do that? I sent an email back stating I F-ed up and they are fine. I hope that doesn't DQ me. Anyway I'm schedualed for the exam, so I'm in I guess. I need a 70% or higher. Shouldn't be a problem. Upon taking the test I need my ID, My DD214, and this huge mother of personal history packet. Every employer, every address, every NSF everything right down to scars. Criminy I'd have to submit 10 pages alone for scars on my body! I'm a train wreck. My financial history is going to kill me and probably my employment history. Them two things have issues plus chalk up some discipline issues I probably don't have a chance. Although I get the full 25pts for being a service connected disabled vet. Too bad that is a wash with everything else probably. Well hopefully I'll make the cut to the physical fitness and agility portion. Which I'm sure I'll struggle. I'm a train wreck as I stated. But perhaps by the grace of God, maybe I'll make it to interviews where I know everything will have to be explained diplomatically. IF I somehow get over that I suppose next might be the psych exam. Who the fuck knows if I'd pass that! I've been accused of not being right in the head. I don't know.

It really is extremely intrusive into my life and skeletons will probably fall from the heavens and not just the closet. I did not want to under go this level of scrutiny just to be a cop. A small town hick is all I really wanted, but the Sheriff's department would be just insane. Way over the top like the day I graduated as a Marine. All that hard work earning the title. A totally awesome day that was. There has never been another like it and I never imagined there might be again, but IF I pulled this off and got hired, well lightning struck twice. The very last job I will ever have, because this is a career. And I'll probably die doing it. Retirement is so not an option at this point. Too many opertunities there, I'd never get to do them all and would never grow tired of all of them in my life time. That would be impossible.

I'm going to need plenty of support here at home and I just ain't got it. What little I have is going to be taxed like no tomorrow. I hope I still have some friends after this one is over. Going to be a huge let down if I cannot make it with all this time invested. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't REALLY want it. Worst thing about it, is I'm competing against my friends. There is only so many spots and to me they have a way better chance than I do. In a perfect world we'd all make the cut and be hired together, but the world isn't perfect. One of which is my best friend. We joke about it, being partners for life. It really does mean something to me. I love him and I'd like that. I fear letting someone like him down worse than letting myself down. I cannot fail him, I just can't.

There is a shit load at stake here. I'm exhausted thinking about it so I'm off to bed. I have to get off to work in the morning anyway. Keep me in your thoughts.

#2 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,397 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

I thought you'd be a shoe in with the Academy and your military service and disabled veteran status.  Maybe they are doing credit checks, a lot of employers are now.  I've seen a lot of good people bypassed because of bad credit. I'll keep you in my prayers that someting will open up eventually.
m14brian

#3 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well talking with some of the deputies I know, it was advised to include as much as I can think of and be my normal honest self and I should be fine. So I will and hope someone loves me. First order of business besides the background history is doing well on the test. I do that and pass the physical/agility thing later, I might be okay.

#4 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Well today was the big day. I didn't get to bed until midnight with all the paperwork done. I set the alarms for 0530and 0545. Didn't hear a single one of them. Damn sleep apnea!!! Lucky for me my best friend came over and was knocking on my door at 0650. So we were rolling at about 0703 for the test. The way he drives from his time in Afganistan, we could have left at 0740 and made it. I was about dead to the world, but Richard was wired. He does have energy. Plug him in to the power grid and he'd power a small city. He had me laughing hysterically all the way there. Good times.

The test took about 2.5hrs to complete. Nothing major, so I feel I did okay. I got 20 extra preference point for being prior military and being 30%+ with service connected from the VA. That should help out a lot. Not too many prior service guys there I feel. You can sort of tell, mostly kids. I might have been the oldest today, but overall I don't know since there was another test day earlier in the week. Another Friend estimated there was about 100 bodies taking the test today. I'd imagine double that with the other day.

I guess from the sounds of it they are hot to trot getting people hired so in the next 2 weeks they will be having interviews starting. I'd hope I'm going to be called. We'll see.

I'd sure like to be on the list and somehow make it. It would change everything for me. For once in my life having some sort of stability and resources enough to live comfortably. Unless you are poor almost destitute you really cannot know how happy landing the position would make me feel and the releif it would bring. Something just has to give. Hopefully this time it will.

#5 mallakhi

mallakhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Apply for the Foreign Service, 2 year process, and the FBi comes out and interviews all your friends and relatives and you.... it feels like a full body cavity search with a spade.  

I'm sure you will do fine.  Most paramiitary organizations are big on hiring military personnel, they're pre brain washed.

#6 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Look at my military records and you'll find I wasn't remotely close to being brain washed. I'm more of a self thinker. More of the kind of guy that could influence people than being influenced by people.

#7 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Well that didn't go as I'd hoped. I was on top my game. Unless there was another vet with a service connected disability, I couldn't have been beat by any other on the written exam. Yet I was not called upon to continue. From what I had heard it was women and minority applicants mostly. So being pretty fly for a white guy, didn't work out for me. "Hire vets first" is such a BS slogan.

Since then there are other opportunities popping up now. Many are seasonal and part time, which I'm applying for, but I did put in for deputy sheriff in my very own county from which I live today. It's where I belong. Again lots of resources, I know people, I know the area like the back of my hand, so one can only hope. I'm going to make every effort in doing my very best to land it. I want to be on the Sheriff's Dept and Sheriff Graves is a good man. I actually know him. I've sat in on meeting where he has addressed the public and communities. Talked to him first hand. It's a long shot, but maybe it's possible.

#8 oif3vetk9

oif3vetk9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

M21, one foot in front of the other and don't let go. You know the deal. You acheived the title of marine, you can do this too. And who knows, maybe it was a blessing you weren't hired on to the other dept. I have numerous freinds/family that are LE, they all love it. One of them is a former marine out in cali. He did his four years in the corp and applied just before he got out and dang, here it is going on 20 years and he's still there and still loving it. He wanted me to apply about ohhhh, fourteen years ago but I couldn't walk away from my job. I was a federal technician.(mechanic) It was a dual status job(had to maintain membership in the national gaurd to keep the job which also meant maintaining mil standards during the week so it was basically like active duty, just not the field time) I was medically retired from service this last june. 23 years, 1 month, 21 days, and then my tech job 2 weeks later, just shy of 19 years at the shop.(and that isn't including the temporary time before getting hired permanent)

Back to your situation.(sorry, I get sidetracked) Like I said man, keep pursuing it. Something will shake loose. You knew it wasn't going to be easy but, goals that are really worth it aren't easy to achieve to begin with. You know that first hand.  Good luck and just keep pickin' them up and puttin' them down.

(and don't get me going on the whole female/minority thing. best qualified is how it should be)
Molon Labe

#9 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I sent out 5 packets of stuff to various depts today. I cannot believe no one loves me so far. I'm just what they need.

I am however going to try and do something different. With the Walworth Co Sheriff's Dept I'm going to camp out on their door step, do ride alongs, get to know more of the officers, to make myself better known. I'll sweap floors, clean puke, whatever I have to do. I want to be a a sheriff's deputy where the entire county is my playground.

#10 oif3vetk9

oif3vetk9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

They love you they just don't realize it yet.

I'd do ride alongs but I have the phobia of cruisers. :wink:
Molon Labe

#11 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

The County has them new Ford Cruisers. I've never been in one of those yet. I shall look forward to riding in one. It is different when your in the front seat btw. :) :P

#12 oif3vetk9

oif3vetk9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

It is but I've only rode up front once. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I have frequent flyer miles in the backseat of cruisers but been there once or twice and it wasn't fun. Trying not to end up back there anymore. ;)  But hey, cops didn't treat me bad. I screwed up, knew I did, and took my lumps. Didn't get shitty with the cops, they are just doing a job and I entertained them for a little bit. Hopefully never to hang out with them on the job again. :D  Ahhh, what do ya do? Learn and move on.....
Molon Labe

#13 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

You haven't lived until you've been in the back seat of a cruiser at least once or twice.

#14 USonuMabeaCh

USonuMabeaCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

I got arrested for disorderly conduct.  There was a u-turn underpass that exited right by the shopping center that had the blockbuster (remember those days?), and everyone (literally, seen many cops do it) would wait until there wasn't any oncoming traffic and would go across the 2 lane (one way) access road from the underpass exit to the shopping center parking lot.  I'd been down in Florida for too long and forgot about how prickish most abilene cops were.  I was waiting for the one oncoming car to go, and it was an APD cruiser, and he stopped.  I thought, again because I'd been around Florida cops at the time for four years and was in town visiting, that he was being nice and letting me go.

WRONG.  Soon as I went, he hit the party lights and pulled me over.  He walked up, I said good evening and handed him my license, registration, and insurance.  He said "I can't believe you did that, what were you thinking?" I responded "Yeah, stupid me, I thought you were being nice and letting me go."  He walked back to his cruiser to run my stuff, and I laid my seat back a little and stuck my foot out the window to relieve the pain in my hip from where I got smushed by a 5 ton back when I was in the marines.  He took this as disrespect, and angrily said "Get your foot in car.  What the hell do you think you're doing?"  I told him I was trying to relax my leg.  "Relax, what the hell do you think this is?"  He was being very hateful at this point (you don't disrespect the BADGE in abilene, HOW DARE YOUUUUUUUU), and I was a bit off put by his rudeness.  

So I asked him "Dude, why are you being a dick?"  He immediately called in back up and told me to stay in the car with his hand on his pistol ready to draw and his little light shining in my face.  Ten minutes later another shows up, and he tells me to get out of the car and handcuffs me and puts me in the back of his cruiser.  As soon as we start driving off, he says "I'm surprised you didn't resist."  I told him "I have better things to do than give some douchebag the satisfaction of having to get even for shit he starts because he can hide behind a badge."  He then goes on saying "You're lucky your friend has a valid license, or your car would be impounded."  I told him luck had nothing to do with it, I actually have friends because I'm not a faggot with something to prove.  I then asked him "Did I fuck your wife or something?  Oh nevermind, no woman would ever want a dumpy fat-ass with an attitude like yours."  After that he shut up.  We got to the county lock-up, and after doing all the signing in, he told me that this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't started being rude.  I laughed at him and said, "OH, I'm the one who started being rude, my mistake, I thought you were being a fucking asshole to me first, my mistake."

He hit me with an improper lane-change and disorderly conduct.  I read up on the laws regarding what constitutes disorderly conduct, and for the verbal part it requires that it occurs in public within earshot of people who can be offended, it's a catch-all designed for whining dirt bags.  If I'd taken it to court, Abilene is known for corrupt judges that do everything they can to get every dime, they always side with the officers, and the only way to get past it is to appeal it past the city level, and you usually need a lawyer, which at the time I couldn't afford.  They offered me a deal, $100 if I plead no-contest, or risk $500 if I take it to court.  BWT "dick" in the context of someone being rude (not a direct relation to a penis) is acceptable on the radio and normal television.  The FCC is ok with it.  There was no one offended (except the cop, who doesn't count because he sure used the F bomb repeatedly after he arrested me) or even in range to be offended, and it wasn't public area, I was in my own POV, I wasn't shouting, and I was on private property anyways.  This was clearly an abuse of power.  And now I have a "record," I'm a CRIMINAL.

This is the same set of cops that would get blowjobs from 15 year olds they caught with their boyfriends who were smoking weed to not arrest them back when I was in highschool.  The same cops that wouldn't bust you if you "shared" your weed with them, but if you didn't share they'd arrest you and only turn in just enough for evidence then keep the rest for themselves (I Knew a guy who was busted with over a pound, he was charged for a couple of ounces/grams, and after he got out he learned to "share").  Two guys I knew from high-school, who were absolute douche-bags of the highest order, became cops in Texas.  The only silver lining was that one of them was forcibly held down and raped by another man while conscious at a party a year or so after high-school.  I can't wait to see him at a reunion.

Man this looks like a rant.... Don't get me wrong, I dont dislike law-enforcement, just the ones that abuse their power and should NEVER have been allowed into law enforcement.

#15 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

DC is about the most universal charge to be charged on a person. It happens. It doesn't make you a criminal, but it does set the stage if  history of such is on record.

#16 USonuMabeaCh

USonuMabeaCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

It's a class C misdemeanor, and in texas that's a permanent record.

#17 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

It isn't the end of the world is what I'm saying.

#18 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Maybe you should send your "friends" to pay that cop a visit and "politely" explain the error if his ways.
Oh wait, never mind...

#19 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I have good reason never to go back to Florida. I have some history there myself. Never will I go back.

#20 USonuMabeaCh

USonuMabeaCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I don't know about the rest of Florida, but NW area the LEO's are generally good people from what I've seen.  Aside from this one female pensacola cop that gave me a BS ticket (man she was smoking too, shame she was such a see you next tuesday).  They aren't exactly perfect, they won't give each other traffic tickets or even DUIs (was partying with one on his Bday, he was driving around booze in hand pretty tossed saying hi to all of his coworkers that were working), but they aren't bullies hiding behind a badge.  Compared to Abilene PD they are angels.

Slayer, what "Friends" are you referencing?  I is confuzided

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users