Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

National Match shooting full auto.

faulty trigger

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ebowrider

ebowrider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I was at the range shooting my NM.  Everything was fine for about 15 rounds.  I took out my 20-rd mag and tried to put in the 10-rd (both Springfield Armory mags).  Had difficulty keeping it in; no problems with 20-rd.  All of a sudden I was shooting 2 and 3 round bursts.  I didn't  check to see if I could make longer bursts.  I didn't want to ruin anything, not to mention Iwas getting some strange looks.  What should I look for besides having the trigger checked or replaced?  I plan on taking it to a gunsmith.

#2 Ripsaw

Ripsaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Have you changed stocks lately ? It may have broken a hammer hook. If it is all original SAI parts, that is known to happen. Pull the trigger group and inspect the parts. Cock the hammer and release the safety with the trigger group out of the rifle and in your hands. Pull the trigger and keep holding it all the way to the rear, after hammer falls, recock it with your other thumb, and see if the rear hammer hooks hold it, then release the trigger pressure slowly and see if the front hooks catch it, if not and it fires again, you need some parts to fix it. A hammer and trigger sear assembly most likely. If it does catch, it is most likely your stock fit to the action.

From the top of the stock to the bottom where the trigger group seats , should be 1.700" to 1.725"

It could also be a broken or bent, hammer or trigger pin. Some of the trigger group housing have irregular holes for these pins to go through too.

#3 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Might be you don't have the rifle tight to your shoulder and you are sweet spotting the trigger. It happens to many people. But look to see if the trigger group is dicked up.

#4 gnappi

gnappi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

It happened to me it was a bad hammer.

#5 slayer6769

slayer6769

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I think what M21 is referring to is "bump firing". I've seen dudes do it too.
I agree, I'd pull the trigger group apart and give it a through inspection. It's a damn wonder you didn't blow the reciever or something apart. I'd also recommend throwing the suspect 10 rounder mags in the garbage and stick to 20 round CMI mags. I own only one 10 round mag. It works fine, but I consider myself lucky. I've heard all kinds of 10 rounder mag issues and it doesn't seem to matter as to who made them.

#6 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

The gun will take it. No worries with an auto like burst. Still it should be checked over as to why. With as light as my trigger is set, how easy it would be, but it would be intentional on my part to do so. As it should be for you to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users