Welcome to the M1A Forum. Join the M1A Rifles community, it's free! Find different interesting discussions on the m1a rifle, m1a scopes, mounts, m1a stocks, ammo and more! There are lots of knowledgeable m1a enthusiasts and m1a rifle owners here on our forum, so feel free to ask questions. You don't need to be a m1a rifle owner to join our community. Join and ask questions about the great M1A rifle.

Rounds down range

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mallakhi

mallakhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Took my M1A standard to the range for the first time yesterday.  I zeroed it with the iron sights on an army zero target at 25 yards.  I was extremely happy.  As instructed I bottomed the elevation out and returned it exactly 8 clicks.  It is dead on shooting in 1" groups.  

100 yards, it gets a bit squirrely, but that's shooter not rifle.   I have 0 accesssories on it to help me out in the accuracy department.  

So, when I got to work today:  it was Christmas !!     I received my SWFA SS 10x42 scope, a steel springfield gen 4 mount (i know... sadlak or smith but this was 40% off... Ill give it a go)  They sent with it Leopold mounts... and they are way not what I want, sending them back.  

I have a harris bipod on order now, should be here by end of the week and that should do it for a while.  Ill post a pic when i get it together.

#2 m14brian

m14brian

• Moderators
  • 5,397 posts
  • Location29 Palms, CA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Let us know how that Gen 4 mount is.  I had 2 Gen 3s and they were bad but this one being steel might be Ok, I don't have any experience with it.
m14brian

#3 mallakhi

mallakhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Ok, the rifle is all together, SS10x42 mildot scope, mounted with badger rings to a SPringfield Aluminum mount.  Leather springfield sling is on it, as well as a harris bipod and a blackhawk lace up cheek pad.  Here is what I can tell you.

Springfield aluminum mount.  0 issues, hasn't loosened or lost zero after 80 rounds through it.  Seems very nice and adequate for the job, I have good clearance underneath for the iron sights, but it's work to get to them anyway with the cheek riser.  

Speaking of cheek rests, the blackhawk one sucks ass... after 80 rounds it had worked itself very loose, and I had it very tight with a good knot.  It's very hard and very square.  I think I will go with either a Fulton Arms 3 piece interchangable one or..... I might be drilling holes in my stock for the plastic one.   What do you guys think?

Harris bipod is money... very stable, very dependable, It's hand tightened and didn't lose any of its position during 80 rounds.   Im glad i put that on it.  

Accuracy is very good, shooing sub 1" groups at 200 yards with it.  I won't be able to go to 500 until spring time.

#4 M21guy

M21guy

"Compromising is never satisfying"

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

Sounds good to me. Especially the accuracy! Sounds like a hell of a std M1a you got there.

I'd drill and put the kydex riser on the stock. It gives you the best cheek weld, but drops fast for iron sight usage. It was in consideration when I built mine. It's still a viable option on a later build.

#5 mallakhi

mallakhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, drilling holes in the stock scares me a bit.  would suck not to like it

#6 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

What sucks worse is not to be able to use the rifle correctly with ease.

#7 mallakhi

mallakhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

put another 200 rounds thru it over the weekend, scope mount did loosen up a bit, which i did expect.  was doing some rapid fire stuff...  going to go with a hard cheek riser and drill the holes.... the lace up cheek riser isn't cutting it.  thanks for that advice

#8 M21guy

M21guy

• Members
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

You know rapid fire has nothing to do with a mount that isn't the best to begin with. But since you have that mount try a rubber o-ring under the mounting knob. It might help you to retain tightness.

#9 mallakhi

mallakhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

will do thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users